Sunday, July 20, 2008

Awkwardness In the Real World


So in case you didn't know I graduated from college a few months ago and have been working at a news station in New York for the past few months. I've been doing my best to keep from attempting to initiate games of duck duck goose with Anchors, or telling interns they smell like kitty litter and to keep a generally professional demeanor. So i generally try to remain quiet, I make a few jokes here and there, I'm polite, you know. the perfect worker.
Now there's something you need to know about me. I am addicted to Ritz crackers. I will eat an entire box within a day if left unchecked. So, one day i decide to bring a roll of crackers to snack on throughout the day, and I put it in my book bag.
And in the middle of the day, I get a hankering for some Ritz,(that's right, I said hankering). I look into my bag, and I see my them at the bottom of the bag, package ripped, crumbs everywhere. So in frustration, I exclaimed...

"Damn Crackers."

and once the words escaped my mouth I froze. I looked around the studio I was sitting in and saw the faces of my coworkers and superiors, 3 of which were Caucasian, 1 who was African American. And they all had the same "you're not going to be working here next week look."

I immediately scrambled to retrieve the crackers to show them I'm not a racist. And I pull some crumbs up, and try to eat them as I exclaim "see I love crackers they're great."

Silence.

I promptly excused myself to go wipe cracker crumbs of my face and get some water. I don't bring crackers to work anymore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMFAO--
O gosh, I read this and i literally looked mad-- (imagine this: a person of silent ambiance unexpectedly open their eyes and bellows high volumes of laughter.) I literally have a tissue to wipe tears.

Yea, your surely gay... in the most happiest sense of that word.

:-)

Anonymous said...

white people dont like being told their white...

Anonymous said...

...and illiterate people hate to be told they can't spell. OOOOOOOH!